What started out as one of a large development of 1940's concrete block bungalows, was transformed into a light filled and airy modern showplace, reminiscent of the classic northern California Eichlers.
The original post-war house, a warren of tiny rooms after many poor renovations, found the spark for a new life in what proved to be a fortuitous fire.
Rather than rebuilding the house back to its less than adequate original spatial relationships, the clients chose to strip the house back to the bare bones of its existing concrete block walls and rework it into something more open and suited to their informal lifestyle.
The complex hipped roof and low ceilings were pulled off, and in their place a low sloped gable roof composed of SIPs was inserted, allowing for large expanses of clerestory windows above the original concrete block walls. What was originally a carport/garage was re-built as a small secondary bedroom and a utility/pantry room.
Immediately upon entry the existing fireplace and a plywood clad dropped ceiling define the dining area to the left, and a bar and kitchen to the right open up into the newly expanded public spaces.
The kitchen was rearranged and expanded to a more adequate size, and a cantilevered box window was inserted to provide additional counter space and bring in more light from the street.
Three small rooms were combined to form the new larger living/dining/entry space with an expansive wall of floor to ceiling glass opening up to a protected deck space and the rest of the large backyard.
Beyond the kitchen the existing bathroom and master bedroom were retained and livened up with new finishes, and a new secondary bedroom takes the place of the old garage area.
Light grey stucco, paint-grip standing seam metal, and galvalum corrugated siding complete the exterior composition and play nicely off the existing pink sandstone of the original entry. The shocking green front door somehow manages to tie the whole ensemble together.